3.02.2009

The Epidemic

There is an epidemic sweeping across the nation.

I think I first began to notice it in high school when the hand bag and purse craze infiltrated my school and girls began carrying purses and small bags. This was great and I had no problem with people not wanting to lug around a hefty backpack through the halls, I haven't used a backpack since junior year of high school, for goodness sake. The problem was girls refused to make up their minds between the two. My friend and I (not so) cleverly called it "pursebag," the epidemic of using both a backpack and a purse simultaneously.

Then I came to college, and pursebag has followed me here, much to my chagrin.

I think my main problem with pursebag is, well, I DON'T GET IT.
Do you really have THAT much stuff that you can't fit it all in your backpack and need the extra space from your purse? I mean really, what the heck are you keeping in there that is SO crucial it needs to be with you at every second of the day? Or maybe it's just pure laziness and you don't want to have to constantly switch between purse and backpack, but if that's the case I plead with you to take those extra ten seconds and take your wallet, lip gloss and Blackberry out of your purse and place them in your backpack. Please.
Because really, there's nothing more awkward looking than someone lugging around a low-sitting backpack with some shimmery silver purse.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I hate it too! Just choose a stupid bag...if you need your purse that much, put it in your bookbag! For the love of chiropractors!